Many people may have small or uneven breasts because of factors such as genetics, hormonal changes, or natural aging. Small or uneven breasts can sometimes make it hard to find clothes that fit well and can lead to an asymmetrical or unbalanced appearance. While these variances are usually normal, many women are looking for solutions that will give their breasts a better shape and more volume.
Breast augmentation is one of the surgeries that we offer at DrYoungForever Plastic Surgery Center & MedSpa. By using breast implants, we can enhance the size and shape of the breasts, offering a more proportionate figure. At our center in San Antonio, TX, we are dedicated to providing the highest quality of care and ensuring that each patient receives a procedure that meets their vision.
What Is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure designed to enhance the size and shape of a person’s breasts. This can be accomplished through various methods, each designed to cater to the unique needs and desired outcomes of the individual. While there are different types of breast augmentation such as natural breast augmentation through fat transfer, the most common type of breast augmentation is breast implants.
Breast implants involve the use of medical devices that are placed under the breast tissue or chest muscles. These implants come in various sizes and shapes, allowing customization to the patient’s aesthetic goals.
Breast Lift and Augmentation
In many cases, a breast lift and augmentation are combined into one procedure to optimize results. A breast lift addresses sagging and improves the position of the breasts, while augmentation enhances their size and shape. Together, these procedures can provide a comprehensive transformation, creating a youthful and balanced appearance.
A Close Look at Your Breast Augmentation Options
1. Implant Material
- Silicone: Silicone implants are filled with silicone gel, which tends to feel more like natural breast tissue. They are a popular choice due to their realistic feel and variety of shapes and sizes.
- Saline: Saline implants consist of a silicone shell that is filled with sterile salt water (saline). They can be filled after being placed, allowing for smaller incisions. If a saline implant leaks, the body safely absorbs the saline.
- More Cohesive Silicone: Also known as form-stable implants or sometimes gummy bear implants, this type of silicone implant maintains its shape even if the implant shell is broken. The silicone gel inside these implants is thicker than in traditional silicone implants, providing a firmer feel. These implants are less likely to wrinkle and provide a more stable shape over time.
2. Implant Shape
- Round: Round implants are the most common choice for breast augmentation. They offer fullness and projection to both the upper and lower portions of the breasts, resulting in a balanced and voluminous appearance.
- Teardrop: Teardrop implants, also known as anatomical or contoured implants, mimic the natural shape of breasts. They are tapered at the top and fuller at the bottom, providing a more gradual slope. Teardrop implants are often chosen for a more natural-looking outcome, particularly for individuals who desire subtle enhancement.
3. Implant Profile
The implant profile refers to the projection or how far the implant extends from the chest wall. Here are the common implant profile options:
- Low Profile: Low-profile implants have a wider base and less projection, resulting in a more subtle enhancement.
- Moderate Profile: Moderate-profile implants offer a balanced projection, suitable for individuals seeking a natural-looking outcome.
- High Profile: High-profile implants have a narrower base and increased projection, providing more fullness and a more pronounced look for your breast augmentation.
4. Implant Surface Texture
Breast implants can either be smooth with a polished texture that allows for easy movement in the breast pocket or textured to keep them in place. Teardrop-shaped implants are usually textured to keep them from moving around inside the breast pocket.
5. Implant Size
Implant size is usually anywhere from 200cc to 600cc although your individual goals and your surgeon’s recommendations may differ. We will help you choose a size that fits with the aesthetic that you want and whether you want a more natural or a more augmented look.
6. Incision Location
In some situations, incisions may be made on the lower edge of the areola or in the armpit area. However, the most common incision location is in the fold underneath the breasts. It provides direct access for precise implant placement and offers good visibility for the surgeon. The resulting scar is also well-concealed within the natural crease.
7. Breast Implant Placement
Over the Muscle (Subglandular)
In this placement technique, the implants are positioned above the chest muscles and beneath the breast tissue. This option may be suitable for individuals who have adequate breast tissue and desire a quicker recovery period. For those with less natural breast tissue, implants may be more noticeable or may be more prone to rippling in this position.
Under the Muscle (Submuscular)
This placement involves positioning the implants beneath the chest muscles. This technique offers several advantages, including a more natural appearance, reduced rippling, and enhanced support for the implants. It is a preferred option for individuals with thinner breast tissue or those seeking a more subtle and natural outcome.
Helping You Choose the Right Options for You
If you are considering implants, there are many different breast augmentation options to explore. We can discuss size, profile, shape, implant location, and much more at our consultations at DrYoungForever Plastic Surgery Center & MedSpa. If you are looking for breast augmentation services in San Antonio, TX, give us a call today at (210) 750-6200 or contact us online.